 Space / 35604
Re: Space Racer R.I.P.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:26 GMT

Hi,

Last thing first. Sorry, I did not see your reply to my reply -- when I saw the message go off the highlight list I assumed no more replies had been posted. Your comments there are very helpful, thank you!

As for recording my MOC designs, the answer is no. Oddly as an engineer I eat, breath, and sleep CAD -- but my experience with lDraw has made it seem impossible, or at the least not time efficient to render the models with it. The geometry it self would take forever to align in that CAD environment. Furthermore I never really saw a need to record each model simply because they are only steps in a continual learning process. Once the problems of a particular model have been solved there is no reason to go back -- since I hopefully integrate the new lessons in the next model. Although I do keep track of the difficult parts by making diagrams and such.

The idea of indenting the front grill on the space racer is awesome, unfortunately the internal framework is so cramped inside the fuselage that I would have to extend the front end to make that possible. Doing that would create a discontinuity with respect to the flat front. The color blending is interesting. My intention though was for a blocky look -- originally the whole thing was gray, then the yellow part was red, then I added red tile extensions going out to the side, finaly I replaced the red with yellow. I have no logical reasoning behind the choice, it just looked right to me -- plus, I was running low on gray tiles.

The megablok thing has always irked me. I mean they stink, but I am more obsessed with form then being strictly Lego based (then again that is the first and last model I will ever use imitation Lego blocks). I spent days trying to figure out an alternative, but there were none that fit the specifications I had set. I cannot wait till Lego does make a wing tile shape - that could bring many new and possibly revolutionary building possibilities to light. At school I have access to an ABS rapid prototyping machine -- although when I asked to use it to make custom Lego block’s I was given the evil eye and shooed out of the shop. Maybe someday I will sneak in there late at night and make a few hundrend of those...

Your compliments are simultaneously humbling and flattering. I am glad somebody enjoys those silly space ships.

It was only three years ago that I realized there was an active adult community of Lego freaks -- I cannot emphasize enough how seeing many of the amazing Lego MOCs out there has inspired creativity and motivation.

BTW. Do you have any of your stuff posted on brickshelf, I looked under your name but could not find anything...

Thank you, again,

B.