 Space / 32306
Re: Space MOC: Teardrop
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:36:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Tony Hafner wrote:
   Here’s the tiny Tadpole:

I’m very happy with the appearance, but the features are lacking.

Landing gear is a feature. And the ship uses a pair of my favourite element ;-)

That would be the big curvy slope, right?

   The landing gear is of questionable stability and the canopy doesn’t open- and with 8 studs of binding surface and no good edges to grab, it’s actually pretty tough to remove. (grumble, grumble, stupid canopy part design...)

Dude, that’s my favourite canopy! Three of my MOCs have just such an opening canopy, in a similar size range (using two different solutions). I guess I’ll just have to post some pictures of them so’s you can see how it’s done... ;-)

Sure, I’ll take that bait...
The problem is not that you can’t make opening canopies, it’s just that you have to overengineer it to do so. The old canopies had areas that didn’t have binding surfaces so that you didn’t have to tile or SNOT the area under them to allow them to open easily. And they didn’t have angled rear edges so that you can’t fit hinges back there without gaps. And they didn’t require another specialty piece on each side. I’ve done a couple ships similar in size using opening canopies of this type. But I’ve also seen a ship that incorporates the rope bridge and raft parts well. My point is that you should be able to work with the parts you have, not against them. A really great part makes itself easy to use.

   There is way more than the usual amount of techno-babble and other pointless rambling.

Well, frankly the blurb-to-picture ratio gets a bit high for some MOCs... I always find my eyes glazing over after the first couple of sentences, so I try to keep it to one or two sentences on my own pages. I usually try to include something outlandish or unusual to help keep the reader’s attention.

That’s why I put just enough at the top of the page to put the model in context, and then if I have more I want to say I put it after the images. I don’t really expect most people to read it anyway. The people who care will enjoy what’s there, and everyone else will ignore it.

When people have their own pages but host the images on BrickShelf, I really appreciate comments for each image (on the same page)- that way I have something to look at while I’m waiting for them to load.

   Actually, with regards to that point, I kind of feel that if I can’t write something exciting about the MOC, then I haven’t thought of a good concept behind the creatiuon in the first place. Building something exciting in concept is better than building something unexciting in concept, right?

Sure, though I don’t think it’s always necessary. And in many cases, I just write up what comes to mind when I’m typing up the pages rather than thinking it out beforehand.

And yes, I caught that “Tadpole” edit. I dunno... that isn’t a bad characterization of the shape- it just needs landing gear that folds out and back. Perhaps with minifig flippers on the ends.

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com