 Space / 30390
Re: Micro Moonbase Standard (was Re: The Brickfest PDX Moonbase Build Up!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:08:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Jon Palmer wrote:
The only thing about the 16x16 baseplates that bothers me is most of them
are in green.  It's very hard to get these in gray and somewhat difficult to
make them with plates.
Workable, though, as you pointed out below.

If we're really considering adding a microscale standard to Moonbase I think
it should be on gray plates like the minifig standard.  As odd as it may
sound I'm imagining microfig/minifig blended Moonbases.  A Legoland Miniland
display on the moon?  A portion of the Moonbase was shrunk by a Shpleevil
Shrink Ray?  Really small aliens?
Cool!

Also the moon is gray of course. :-)

I thought it was made of green cheese?

What about considering 12x12?  You could easily make the "baseplate" with
two 6x12 gray plates.  It's cool that nine 16x16 baseplates add up to one
48x48 module, but the 12x12 modules would still be close at 16 per 48x48
module.

I would be all for the 16x16 scale if it wasn't for how hard it is to get
them in gray.  They're only really available in one set that is recent and
there aren't that many on bricklink.  Although they aren't that expensive.
Damn LEGO, start selling 16 x 16 baseplates in gray for a $1. :-)

What does everyone think?
     I had quite a fun time building this:
     (although it's CAD,not ABS)
     Like the Portable Bot Factory, building in a smaller scale makes you think
a little more about what you're doing...I quite like it.  And for those whose
collection is a bit smaller (or still growing), it offers a way to take part in
a fun and collective experience.
     I think I'd try to build the 16x16, only because the scale transates nicely
to the full-size standard.  I'd look at building them up from plates, at base
level around the meeting edges, but allowing height variance inside your module
- this would let you link together the needed plates to get 16x16, while giving
a 'sculpted', more natural look to the surface.

I will not enforce the 12 x 12 idea.  I'm just throwing it onto the field so we can think about it.
     12x12 can be fun, too, and opens up possibilities.  I'm for both.

How about 16x16 built on a layer of grey bricks?  So you have the green
baseplate, and put a layer of bricks on that.  Then you can move the corridor
connections to the baseplate itself and simplify the corridor connections.

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com