 Space / 29775
29774  |  29776
Subject:
More BSG Thoughts : Spoilers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:03:03 GMT

I watched part of the first and the whole second half again and here's some
seni-random thoughts.

* * *Spoilers Below * * *

Don't Scroll Down If You Don't Want to Know
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
***You were warned***
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.

I absolutely loved how quite they tried to make space. I know you can't get away
with making it totally silent in a film, but I think they got the right balance
by having the ships only make a low, subtle noise and then in combat it really
took off. I also think that CGI has really allowed for more spectacular science
fiction on television. I certainly hope we can say goodbye to every dogfight
being exactly the same. The old series really did suffer from overuse of that
stock footage. It was also neat to see the tactics used at the end. Instead of
some grand plan to lure the enemy away with deception, or rush in with guns
blazing, the Galactic rise up the eye of the storm and gives the enemy her
broadside to cover the escaping fleet. She just sits there takes all the
punishment for as long as possible.

Galactica itself looked awesome. Big and beefy, but it sure seemed smaller than
the original. I wished they would do a long glory shot or something. It was hard
to get a real good, overall look at it, even pausing it with TiVo. The command
center was right on as well. No forward view screen. Only control stations and
monitors surrounding the center like a lectern. It was a big submarine. Just
like it probably should be. (Although, I thought they swung the doors around
like they were much lighter than they appeared they should be).

I appreciate it when stories of war and battle involve many dead people (so many
stories neglect to point out that lots of regular people die in warfare). When
the XO had to vent the ship was one and, especially, when the FTL ships had to
leave the non-FTL ships - man, that was terrible for those people. They put a
face on it, even if it was a little cheesy to make it a child like that. But it
did make it a little more visceral. You still felt *bad* for both sides there;
that was a tough decision. There was a deep sense of desperation in this
version. That these people really are on the verge of becoming extinct in a very
short time and they have to do whatever they can to survive.

I really thought this time the rag-tag fleet came together much more logically.
The way they grouped together and found Galactia. Plus that whole civilian vs
military aspect. Adama wants back in the fight, the new president want to cut
and run. It came across more organically, like a series of happenstances that
led to the conclusion which is the formation of the fleet. In the old show, they
were a rag-tag fleet by the end of the first hour.

I think the changes that were made, the Cylons being man-made; now looking like
humans. Starbuck and Boomer being women. They're all really minor points. These
changes don't really alter the story in such a way as to make it unrecognizable.
I have to say that I dig the new Starbuck and not because she's some hottie
(honestly, I didn't think that so much). I liked her attitude. Rough and blunt.
She was bull when her fighter kept having problems on take off. She was in the
XOs face.

I though Almos did a great job. More subtle, less emotion. Tough old war vet.
His interaction with the new president was nice. There's a tension there, but
he's not so blind to see that she's right. I liked how taken aback he seemed
when she asked him if he was getting ready to stage a military coup. "No, of
course not."

Baltar, in some ways, is much more evil this time. Instead of being an
aggrandizing, self absorbed, egocentric, he's a weasely, self-absorbed,
egocentric. That makes him much more insidious. He's right there under their
noses and they don't have a clue. Plus, they actually need him, so he's got
access to everything. The chip in his head (shades of Farscape there) at least
give him some access to them, and vice-versa. He's not completely a bad guy, but
he sure wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice an innocent to protect himself.

All the complaining about sex, but, is it me or was it just the humanoid-Cylons
that seemed like nymphomaniacs? All the sex we saw seemed to come from Cylon
unions. Maybe there's a real *reason* behind why they portrayed it like that.
Maybe they're new to it all and *can't* suppress emotions. That would be a neat
twist on the machine-becomes-man. Usually they're like Data from Star Trek,
they're not emotionless machines, but hyper-emotional. What if they couldn't get
enough? Six certainly seems preoccupied with the notion that Baltar and her
should be together.

They really just tacked that 13th Colony of Earth on the end. But part of me
thinks they wanted to leave it open without too much explaining so they weren't
writing themselves into a corner. This miniseries is really about the end of the
Colonial life and the flight from the Cylons. The search for Earth is another
story.

I have to say that I liked it even more the second time around.

Does anyone know how good or bad it did?. What the potential there is of a
series?

-Evil Wayne (who would have undoubtable booked passage on a non-FTL ship to save
a few credits)