 Space / 27854
Re: Wide Moonbase Corridors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:19:50 GMT

I kicked this idea around a while back.  What I came up with was that a
wider corridor had to be set back one space on the baseplate in order to
accomodate a 1 brick thick adapter back the standard width.  Two 8 wide
corridors would just need a two brick wide connector to link them together.

Here's a pic of a wide corridor like Markham's
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/moonbase/crdr15.jpg

Here's an adapter from the wider corridor to standard
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/moonbase/cplr1015.jpg

Here's a coupler to link 2 Wide Corridor
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/moonbase/cplr1515.jpg

I think the corridors Markham came up with are perfect.  With them
Minifigs can pass small vehicle fit and you can also make good
module-interconnects.

The Cube I ldrew is the intersection of 4 of markham's corridors
You'll notice that it fits nicely on 16x16 base plate and
will also accomodate 32x32 and 48x48
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/moonbase/cube-15.jpg

Here's a module interconnector built from the cubes above
and the adapters I mentioned
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/moonbase/conn-x15.jpg
It mates with 4 standard moonbase modules, but
internally (epecially at the center) minifigs can walk past each
other.

Jon Palmer wrote:
"Jon Palmer" <jon@zemi.net> wrote in message news:HKJ105.AGy@lugnet.com...

Before I pass out, what do you think?
Fuzzy has once again brought up one of the most requested Moonbase

standard

mods.

If we added a wide corridor variant, how wide would it be?

Ok let's take this thread in another direction.

First, I'm thinking that if we made wider corridors they should be built
ONLY if they can be converted to a regular corridor on the fly at a meet.
And not just make them narrower up front.  That would look lame.  I mean
they would be able to be pulled out and replaced with a regular corridor.  I
think this would be a fair compromise.

So Joe Space brings in a module with 4 corridors...2 of them wide.  He sets
it down and can only hook up to 1 other wide corridor and 3 regular ones.
So he swaps one of the wide ones for a regular corridor on his module, and
he's good to go.

Now, check out my next post for my other idea.