 Space / 1920
Re: Another space render...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:28:43 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> writes:
Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Wow, Bram.

That ship is magnificent

I'm flattered!

(but by now we expect nothing less from you!)

Creates a problem if I ever build something you consider mediocre...

Nah, we'll just ascribe it to an impostor.  ;)

--and the wing mount is very inventive; I like it a lot.

Thanks, I like it too.  I spent forever wondering how I would make the
wings at an interesting angle.

It paid off!  I'm still going back to the .jpgs and marvelling at the way it
looks.  Have you thought about doubling one of the struts, to make it a
triangular support geometry?

As for your racing idea, I think it's a heck of a lot better than
Podracers that are stuck to the ground.  ;)  I know I'd build one;
I did over the holidays, using four large UFO quarter panels Brassoed
clean as a leader "sail" (admittedly, very small).

Any pictures?  Reminds me, I need to get some Brasso.

No, no pictures--I only took the sections home, and bought a ton of Space
Port stuff on Target clearance.  It looked pretty neat, but the sail was way
too small for "reality."  However, if I get the chance to reconstitute my
Starwisp Probe wannabe, I'll make sure to post pictures.

but I presume the wings are rigid, yes?

Yes.  I wish I could make them movable while retaining some strength,
though.

The easiest way I've seen is with pneumatic pistons or the strange enclosed
shocks that came with some Aquazone and Technic sets (Crystal Crawler, for
example).  Another way is with the 2x5/2x9 or 2x9/2x13 (opened) hinges that
came most numerously with old Classic and Freestyle sets.  I think they're
still available in several colours; that's how I did mine.  The problem is
it doesn't look very technical unless you add technical detail that isn't
really functional.  Hmmm, would it be possible to use the telescoping crane
of the sort that's on the Spyrius Saucer Centurion, 6560, or the big Rock
Raiders base?  Don't know the element name, sorry--but it has a "stepping"
feature to the arm extension, and consists of two pieces, the sleeve and the
inner arm.

Just brainstorming here, really--but I'd mourn the loss of the fragile
beauty of the ship you've constructed if any of those large clunky systems
were added.

best

Lindsay (who dreams of building again someday...)