 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1336
Re: Control the RCX from AppleScript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:25:36 GMT

Hi Matt

VideoScript is a seperate program (not written by me!), available from:

http://www.videoscript.com

It uses any QuickTime compatible video device, and allows you to run
AppleScript commands depending on what is seen on the video. It includes all
kinds of video processing, such as motion detection, object recognition, and
so on. This means that, together with robot controller, you can make your
robots react to what is seen by the camera.

You do need a driver for your camera. At the moment, the only drivers I know
of for MacOS X are a general driver for FireWire webcams here:

http://www.ioxperts.com/dcam.html

and a rather limited driver for the Philips USB webcams here:

http://www.matthias-krauss.de/wc/

I don't know whether there will ever a driver for the lego cam, but I have
managed to use my Philips Vesta Pro with lego.

On the question of LDraw programming, I am certainly interested. Interface
builder is very easy to use, and cocoa programming is quite straightforward,
but I haven't yet tried Open GL, and I don't want to learn carbon. Maybe you
could email me about what needs doing.

Barney.