 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3954
Re: avoid messaging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:

Yes, I indeed have an attachment which will act like blockage,
but not a full one though.

   I'd agree that a physical block is the easiest, although there is a software
solution. The RCX can not recieve a command while it's transmitting - so if you
saturate the transmitter with things to do, it will not be able to "look" for
any incoming opcodes. The easiest way I know to do this is to send out blocks of
serial data - just sending the same block again & again in a tight loop will do
it. I discovered this accidently while testing something else (and the RCX
stopped responding to the remote, requiring me to chase it across the room as it
attacked innocent passerbys). The downside is battery life - adding one task to
transmit continuously won't slow things down a lot, but it will chew up battery
life. The upside is the RCX can be selectively "blind" to commands, and if it
needs to communicate with the outside IR world in can shut off such IR
"jamming".

--
Brian Davis