 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3558
Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Wes Matchett wrote:
   Is there a missing step to create fontdesign.exe?

You can do make fontdesign in the util directory to create fontdesign.exe

I have managed to get brickos-0.2.6.10 working using gcc 3.3.1 on win98 under cygwin, though I had a few problems along the way. At this stage I have only tried a few of the demo programs, and do not have c++ support as I neglected to download the g++ source.

Problem 1 - multi line string literals deprecated and other warnings

As has been noted elsewhere in this thread, you can manually go through and change all the multi line string literals. After spending some time doing this, I discovered there is a patch available to do it for you, thanks to this page (see section 3b). There is also one for the ASM Constant warning. I guess it would have paid to click around the sourceforge site before diving in!

See also here - I chose to add the volatile qualifier to the parameters.

Problem 2 - assembler errors and warnings

I was then getting warnings about operand size in some of the .s files (fixed by remove .w on affected lines), and an error in fixsfsi.s. It didn’t like this line (invalid operand I think):
add.b #-158,r4l ; subtract bias + 31 from exponent
I was able to fix this by splitting it over two lines (a -127 and a -31) - I guess it figured a signed byte should be within +/- 127?

After all that, I tried to download the firmware onto the rcx. It got to 100% complete, and dll exited without error, but the rcx turned off and I needed to remove a battery to reset it. I repeated the process a few times with the same result.

Now, in addition to gcc 3.3.1, I had downloaded the source for the latest binutils that the cygwin setup was offering me - binutils-20030901-1. All the assembler warnings were making me suspicious, so I decided to try what the instructions suggested (odd idea I know!) and use binutils-2.10.1.

The assembler in binutils-2.10.1 compiled all the .s files without warning or error, and I am now able to download (upload? transfer?) firmware and programs to the rcx. Now, to build a robot to fetch me beer/coffee!