 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3133
Re: How do i make a program to run on brickos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:41:02 GMT

Andrew Tait wrote:

Hi everyone,

previous problems behind me now as it all works and i am well chuffed, I
now just want to start running programs on it, and was wondering where do
you write your programs?
can you do it in notepad?
or do i need a specific text editor?
I am also wanting to make use of lnp if anyone has any advice on this area
i would be most grateful.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Andrew
You can use any editor. However, I recommend a good "programmer's editor"
like VIM that automatically stylizes, colorizes, and syntax-checks your
code. An alternative to VIM is Emacs. VIM vs Emacs is a popular "computer
holy war", and I personally am on the VIM side because I started VIM first
and I find it easier. They're both available online in a Windows version,
but I don't know where.
If you choose a word processor like Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, or even
WordPad, be sure to save as plain 8-bit ASCII or ANSI text. Any other
formats add extra stuff that the compiler can't understand. I don't
recommend word processors for programming anyway because it's easiest to
see what's going on if you have a fixed width font and less stylizing
silliness.
--
"I love deadlines. I especially love the whooshing sound they make as
        they go by."