 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 152
Re: Rotation sensor bug found
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 07:30:22 GMT

Lou, thank you for your reply.

You've got a point here.  What if we hardwire STATE_0_VALUE to the
following?

#define STATE_0_VALUE (ds_unscale(1023U)-RANGE_SIZE)

This should work.

Or, for a more general approach:

#define MIN(a,b) (a<b?a:b)
#define MAX(a,b) (a>b?a:b)
#define STATE_VALUE(k) ( \
MIN( \
MAX(ds_unscale(k),RANGE_SIZE), \
ds_unscale(1023U)-RANGE_SIZE \
) \
)
#define STATE_0_VALUE (STATE_VALUE(1023U))
#define STATE_1_VALUE (STATE_VALUE( 833U))
#define STATE_2_VALUE (STATE_VALUE( 405U))
#define STATE_3_VALUE (STATE_VALUE( 623U))

This seems wrong to me because sets all the STATE_n_VALUE to k-RANGE_SIZE.

For now I modified ds_rotation_handler() in this way (two occurrences):

//   if ( IN_RANGE ( STATE_0_VALUE ) ) {           // Original code
     if ( raw > ( STATE_0_VALUE - RANGE_SIZE) ) {  // Mario

and the defines with my central values:

#define RANGE_SIZE      (40U<<6)
#define STATE_0_VALUE (1023U<<6)
#define STATE_1_VALUE  (857U<<6)
#define STATE_2_VALUE  (444U<<6)
#define STATE_3_VALUE  (658U<<6)

Everything worrks fine! The demo/rotation-sensor program performs well.
I understand Markus is very deep in his studies at present moment. Anyway I'll
send him a message then he will decide how to modify the code to keep it as
general as possible.

Second problem. I checked many values for my two rotation sensors, and as I
wrote yesterday they are different from the ones inside direct-sensor.c. In
some cases they are out of the range specified in legOS.

Well, I don't know where the current costants came from, but they are
probably just the values that one person got with their RCX.  They are
bound to be different between different RCXs, sensors, and wire lengths,
and yours appear to be just different enough to cause problems.  Perhaps
we should collect data from a number of people and try to arrive at
values for the state values and the range which accomodate all of them.
They are just constants, after all.

We might ask in the robotics newsgroup to all the owners of rotation sensors
what their sensor actually read. So to fine tune both the values and the range.

Mario