 Robotics / RCX / 1926
Re: frame RCX reply how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 18:31:04 GMT

Anybody know more?  If noone does, then I'll have
to decipher code on the web that purportedly
works, such as:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/tools.html#Firmdl

I reached:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/firmdl3.tar.gz
71,680 bytes

Accordingly I'd now guess the firmdl3/rcx_comm.c algorithm for framing standard
RCX replies is:

rcx_send

1) Send the bytes of the command packet.

2) Loop to receive up to equally many bytes echoed.  If 100ms elapses twice
without receiving any bytes, then receive and toss bytes til 200ms elapses
twice without bytes or 4096 are received.  Don't worry if the first bytes
received were actually received before step (1).

rcx_recv

3) Loop to receive the reply up to the expected length.  Quit early if the
specified 50ms or 150ms timeout elapses twice without receiving any bytes.

rcx_wakeup_tower

4) Before using (1) .. (3), begin by confirming the packet x 10 FE 10 FE can be
sent and echoed.  [Perhaps this packet rarely disturbs a standard RCX?]

How inaccurate are my guesses?  Personally I'm vastly ignorant of the details
of the Linux serial API, but I knew a select in a past life.

Curiously, cluelessly, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre