 Robotics / NXT / 850
Re: Wishlist for next pbLua Beta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2007 17:23:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Ralph Hempel wrote:
1. Filesystem (storing chunks and data at NXT)

I'm looking at this now. Files to be stored in FLASH.

This is getting uglier and more complicated than I like. By the
time I add a simple FAT12 file system, and link in the standard
Lua IO library, the code size is getting big and I'm not sure
there's much real benefit.

I could do a very simple file system that lets you load a block
of FLASH memory to read a directory, and then after that reading
files is a bit easier.

The downside is that you may have to "prepare" a set of files
on your host machine then download them in bulk to save changes.

It's not the best solution, but I need to compromise between
complexity, code size, and getting SOMETHING that looks like
a file system into the FLASH.

My thought would be to aim for a filesystem designed for flash use, like yaffs (
http://www.yaffs.net/ ). That particular filesystem is licensed under GPL and
might be uncomfortably large too, I'm not sure, but it's structured more
appropriately than FAT. I haven't looked very closely at the one used by Lego's
firmware.