 Robotics / NXT / 706
Re: Wishlist for next pbLua Beta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 06:53:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Christian Mock wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Ralph Hempel wrote:
I'm getting stuck implementing some features for the next pbLua
release, and I'd like some opinions on what is really necessary...

1. Filesystem (storing chunks and data at NXT)

I'm looking at this now. Files to be stored in FLASH.

This is getting uglier and more complicated than I like. By the
time I add a simple FAT12 file system, and link in the standard
Lua IO library, the code size is getting big and I'm not sure
there's much real benefit.

I could do a very simple file system that lets you load a block
of FLASH memory to read a directory, and then after that reading
files is a bit easier.

The downside is that you may have to "prepare" a set of files
on your host machine then download them in bulk to save changes.

It's not the best solution, but I need to compromise between
complexity, code size, and getting SOMETHING that looks like
a file system into the FLASH.

Preparing a filesystemblock with files inside should be not a big problem...
Testing can be done by downloading (sending ascii)  like today and when
finished, prepare the filesystem and download the separate image.
When operating system and filesystem are different partitions it would be nice.
How big is the real nesseccary os-image currently ? A small area (32-64kB) for
filesystem should be enough for most of lua applications :D

Christian

Hi Ralph,

the hardware is ready to take off :D
http://www.mindstormsforum.de/bilder/details.php?image_id=147&sid=90e3a434a57d0132b6184ee00bf50de1

What are your plans to release Beta-4-Preview with improved I2C-Support  ?
The world wants to use pbLua and not NXT-G or other stuff :-D

One real world scenario is "helping handicaped blind guys". No joke, I have to
friends, who are blind and want to play with Lego-NXT.
They are using a braille device and a screen reader to control the PC. NXT-G
with graphical interface is impossible, but using NXT with pbLUa and a simple
terminal is possible!

The first project with pbLua was a simple color-reader (more grey or darkness
detection)  for blind people, yes it worked!
Now we want to try out a simple blind-men-stick for distance detection...

NXT isn't just gambling or waste of time!
Handicaped people love it to investigate some time in research of new
technology. pbLua is a milestone for using NXT-Robots!

Greetings from germany
Bye
Christian

I have to write it here, because your SPAM-filter didn't like me ;-(