 Robotics / NXT / 1053
Re: What should happen with the lugnet.robotics.nxt sidebar?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:22:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Jordan Bradford wrote:
Hello, LUGNET readers.

In case you don't know, I'm the lugnet.robotics.nxt curator.

I used to update the NXT section sidebar with [in]frequent regularity, but
during the last couple months I've not done anything to it. I get busy and/or
don't take the time to update it, and the result is a stagnant list of links.

With the existence of NXT websites/blogs and other resources, is there any value
to the items of interest section? Actually, a better question is do you use the
sidebar at all? I'm thinking of making it a simpler static list of resources and
getting rid of the items of interest.

Here's what I'd like to know:

- Do you read/use the sidebar at all?

Yes.

- Does the items of interest section have any value to you?

Links to relevant forums, community projects, NXT MOCs, tips and tricks.

- If the items of interest were updated more often would they be more . . .
interesting to you?

Yes, as a chronological, easy to view, list of recent newsgroup user NXT
creations.

- What sorts of things do you want to see on the sidebar that aren't there
already?

Cool NXT MOCs.

- What, if anything, on the sidebar would you like to see removed?

The "Recent Items of Interest" should revolve, whereas the older links are
removed as new ones are added, so they are not to old, and are considered
"viewed" after a reasonable period of time.

- What other suggestions do you have for the sidebar?

My experience has taught me to not over extend one's self. Try not to create
"chores" that will obligate you to continually oversee. This will help you to
narrow down your duties, by creating a format that can stand on it's own, yet
benefit from updates, without creating a burden for the curator.

It is a balance of time and monitoring community efforts.

- Is anyone interested in becoming a co-curator?

Perhaps one of the people who run a regular NXT blog could be best suited.
Seek them out and ask them.

Thanks!

Good luck!

Eric Sophie