 Robotics / NXT / 101
100  |  102
Subject:
Bluetooth Commands via Perl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:00:09 GMT

Has anyone successfully been able to send BT commands to the NXT using Perl on
Windows and get a response?

I've been trying to send the Get Firmware command and have not gotten a
successful response. Here is a short script:

$data = "\x02\x00\x01\x88"; # The Get Firmware command with length 2
$| = 1;  # Flush buffer after write
open( PORT, "+> :raw", COM6 ) or die "Can't open COM6: $!";
print PORT $data; # Write Get Firmware command
sleep 1; # wait a sec
$line = <PORT>; # read the response from the NXT

I've also tried the Win32::SerialPort method with no luck either.

I monitored the transfer with PortMon and see no response coming back from the
NXT. Or, strangely, I will sometimes see the first three bytes that I sent come
back.

I also monitored all of the BT ports using Portmon when I used NeXTTool to get
the firmware version. COM6 is the BT port, but I will see NeXTTool use COM14 to
setup the port, but then I see no write or read results. I guess it is bypassing
the stack that PortMon monitors.

Dave