 Robotics / Handy Board / 8710
8709  |  8711
Subject:
Need help running the handyboard in assembly language
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:43:39 GMT

Hey all.  I am a high school student in an engineering/robotics class at a
fairly advanced level.  I have gone through the steps of programming for the
LEGO RCX, and have moved to become a strong writer in the C programming language
and control mechanisms for the handyboard.  But now due to limitations of even
the C language, I need to move to programming in assembly language.  I
understand the basic structure of the language and the notations and mnemonics,
but when it comes to assembling the code and transferring it over to the
handyboard, there have been numerous roadblocks and I am about to pull all my
hair out.
Here is a list of my steps taken and roadblocks hit:
1.) I have successfully downloaded p_code.s19 to the handyboard using dl.exe
2.) I have written code both of my own writing and example code taken directly from Fred G. Martin’s Robotics book. (Only in frustration as I will describe later)
3.) I am not operating in full DOS mode due to restrictions of the teacher, but if necessary I can switch over.  But I can run the interactive C program in the command line shell.
4.) My first problem is assembling the .asm file to be downloaded to the handyboard.
5.) AS_11.exe will not run.  I have tried to run it using both the command line tool and in windows and it will not open.  Since I cannot run in DOS mode I resorted to other methods
6.) I switched over to my macintosh computer using OS X. with Classic support but the program will not run.
7.)  I have gone to newtonlab.com and used their online ICB compiler.  The
mnemonics like LDAA and ORG converted but the data and location like #$80
trigger the statement “Unrecognized Mnemonic” when the ICB assembles the code.

Could someone tell me step-by-step what to do.  If switching to full DOS mode is
necessary I can find a way.  I want to be able to switch between C and assembly
languages within a running program to facilitate the mobility of the robot if it
is possible in any way.  Any form of help would be greatly appreciated.  If
there is an alternative to switching to DOS that sort of information would be
appreciated.
Thank you