 Robotics / 6568
RE: Touch Sensor as a Switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 07:41:32 GMT

The three different Cybermaster touch sensors have a resistance of 15k, 12k,
and 10k when not pressed.

The rest of my ramblings were pure fiction. The three Cybermaster inputs are
independent just like on the RCX. The Cybermaster software doesn't care
about the resistance either - you can simply switch the sensors around, and
everything works the same.

So why did they put three different resistors into the Cybermaster touch
sensors? Mindstorms touch sensors don't have such a resistor in them. The
resistors are in parallel to the sensor contacts, not in series. So if you
hook multiple sensors in parallel to one port,  you still can't tell which
one was pressed. You can't reasonably wire Lego 9V components in series.
Even then, the resitor values are too close together to produce reliable
readings.

Whatever the reason behind those resistors is, it might be applicable to the
RCX as well. I just can't figure it out.

The Cyber Master touch sensors come in three
colors, each has a different values in its resistor.)

Very, very interesting. I wonder why that is? Maybe Cybermaster has really
only one analog input internally, and maybe Cybermaster measure the
resistance to figure out which sensor is pressed. The Cybermaster
set has no
other sensors, only the three touch sensors.

One of the Cybermaster models is a gladiator with a sensor on
each shoulder
and one on his belly. After building the model you go through a
step by step
sequence were you have to press each sensor once. I wonder if that is done
so that the computer can learn which sensor (white, yellow, or red) is in
each position? That would certainly fit with the rest of my assumptions.

Can anybody confirm any of that? I will play with my Cybermaster a little
tonight, and report back.

Tilman