 Robotics / 27636
27635  |  27637
Subject:
Kalman filter with LEGO NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 16:21:02 GMT

We have started playing with implementations of the Kalman filter into NXT
robots. This sophisticated data manipulation method appears rather complicated,
and most introductions depict an obscure data handling that normally is
considered to be out of reach of younger students and hobbiests. However, the
power of the Kalman filter cannot be denied and efforts should be done to spread
and vulgarize it.

We propose a first application with the scalar Kalman filter, where a NXT robot
tries to find it's most exact position in one dimension on the base of
incomplete and noisy localization data that is collected with our well-known
infrared-ultrasonic beacon system.

www.convict.lu/Jeunes/RoboticsIntro.htm

We also assembled an intuitive introduction to the filter that hopefully gives
the reader a valuable understanding of the basic functionality of the Kalman
filter, without starting with complicated equations from probabilistics and
statistics. People might object that you cannot work with something as complex,
if you don't know the very deep internals. But, this is far from normal
experience. Many unskilled people solder transistors having only very basically
understood their functionality. But, really they can hardly reproduce any
transistor-equation.

The filter could be used in a wrong way! Yes, indeed! I remember that, when we
were kids, a friend asked our teacher who introduced us into the secrets of
electronics in after-school classes: "What happens, if I apply 40V to that
electrlytical capacitor that has the inscription 16V?" The teacher asked: "Try
it!" So he took a DC source and connected the capacitor. At the moment he
switched on the supply, the capacitor exploded with a loud crash!" The teacher
commented: "Now, clean this please!" We learned a lot that day. Using things in
a wrong way can be an excellent didactical situation.

So, enjoy ... and criticize, if you like.