 Robotics / 26330
26329  |  26331
Subject:
Follow That Line - BrickFest Style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:38:41 GMT

Well folks, I made a simple (and somewhat silly) challenge the other day to Steve Hassenplug and Bryan Bonahoom while chatting about Line Following robots. The final outcome is another event at BrickFest this year. This event is not as formal as most others, and it is just for fun (e.g. no prizes). The object is to build a robot (NXT or RCX) that follows a black line across a defined course. All of the rules are based on those used by the NorthEast Indiana Robotics Games posted at:

http://www.sciencecentral.org/2006rules.htm#Line%20Following

We will also be discussing the logic contestants used to build their robots and possibly interviewing people for a forthcoming BrickJournal article. This event came about because several of us on the MCP forums are intrigued by learning more about ways of solving complex problems (and as Bryan said to us “if you think following a line with intersections and acute and obtuse angles is easy, then go try it!”) We look forward to having a good time with this one. Time and place are still TBD.

Thanks - the members of the Mindstorms Community Program