 Robotics / 25787
Re: Request for info on the Control Lab Interface.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 03:23:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Doucette wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   Just today I got one of these from an eBay auction, including the original cable in a sealed plastic bag. The ROBOLAB software wasn’t included, however, so I imagine that I’ll need a driver of some kind to use it.

Does anyone have a driver?

(This might be a good opportunity to learn to write a device driver. That might be fun.)

Also, I have some general questions.

1. Is this interface a simple I/O device that passes sensor inputs directly to the PC?

Yes, programs are executed on the PC.

   2. Vice-versa: does it store programs like an RCX, or does it just perform simple output commands the PC instructs it to (set power for an output, turn on an output, etc.)?

Nothing is stored on the device.

   3. To summarize those two questions, does a program I write to use it reside on the PC or within the interface itself?

It resides on the PC.

   4. Can I write programs for it in NQC? Can I use leJOS or BrickOS? Or must I use ROBOLAB?

AFAIK, you will need a newer version of ROBOLAB. The older versions (forget which) did not support ControlLab.

If you’re up to the task, many of us would be very happy to see ControlLab support in NQC.

   That’s it for now; I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I get it home and play around with it.

Thanks!

Good luck!

-Rob.

Thanks for your information!

I was also sent via email a very helpful page:

http://troyda.eas.muohio.edu/paper2.html

His Research Page has source code, which was also helpful. In fact, his ActiveX control might be useful for NQC. I had trouble getting it to connect to my interface, so I moved on to my real goal:

Using these resources I wrote a simple C# app that can initiate communication with the control lab interface, get its response back, and send a command to turn on some motor ports.

I’m happy it was this painless. No driver was needed, but I will need to write a robust control class. I’ll still get my fix of bit-twiddling and byte buffers . . . I can’t wait!

Once my DLL is finished I’ll certainly share it with the community.

Quick aside: I read someplace that more than one of these things can be used at the same time. Is this true? Can you daisy-chain them, or do you just use a separate COM port for each device?