 Robotics / 25082
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:09:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   I think that the fact that X86 has effectively gone RISC indicates that RISC is winning the conceptual battle. You trade a little bit of programming effort spread across a lot of programmers, for the ability to toss out a lot of hardware complexity and the engineering cost that it takes to make sure the complexity is really working.

I totally agree! I stated this in another thread (or maybe this one) that assembly code on Intel is like Java Byte Code (but worse). I mean its not like you *really* know as a “high-level assembly programmer” exactly the order in which micro-ops were executed.

If your a compiler guy (I know two guys who were at one point heavily involved with gcc), developing for Intel is a nightmare (how do you know the following set of instructions doesn’t cause an unneccessary stall 20 stages in the pipe, etc.).

   Sun’s most recent hardware announcement was for a four stage instruction pipeline that chip vs chip dramatically outperforms anything Intel (3X) has (with their 20+ stage pipeline). Now that we’re this far off topic, maybe we need to move this thread ;^)

It is fun to discuss, but doesn’t really have much to do with NXT so I’ll sit down and be quiet.

Sure thing but Kevin this has been a fun discussion to say the least! (and a good review for me)

-aps