 Robotics / 25061
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 04:37:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, steve sjbaker1@airmail.net wrote:
   pisymbol wrote:

   So for example, is the NXT chip capable of SIMD? I suspect it is since the NXT FAQ talks about playing music.

You can play music quite easily without SIMD.

   What about Jazelle? I know someone asked about using Java with the NXT (a nice idea from the programmers standpoint). I know the J2ME KVM can be as small as 128K.

Well, you can run Java on an RCX...

http://lejos.sourceforge.net/

...so you certainly have the capacity to do so on the NXT.

   In fact, someone stated that historically ARM was “hard” to program for and I have to disagree.

I said that RISC machines (in general) are harder to program in machine code. The ARM is as easy as any other processor to program in high level languages.

Do you mean machine code (binary) or assembly language? I first learned assembly language programming on a MIPS chip (RISC). I’ve also done it on a Motorola 68HC11 (a microcontroller), and I’ve written both pure machine code and assembly language for the Intel 8086. I much prefer the MIPS processor, followed by the 68HC11, and dead last is any Intel x86 chip. Bleah.

For machine code, pretty much any chip is “hard” to program.

   The first order of business for the NXT is to have some kind of sane cross or toolchain environment that people could download and use.

That’s gonna happen VERY quickly if Lego let us get into the machine at the machine code level as they did with the RCX. There is already a complete OpenSourced tool chain for the ARM in the form of the GNU gcc/g++ compilers and libraries.

I fully expect they will, since they released the LASM documentation (RCX firmware bytecodes) with the Mindstorms SDK.