 Robotics / 25017
Re: mindstorms NXT vs the Competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:37:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:

Scribbler is lowest priced at $100. But it is not a kit. It’s a pre-assembled robot. Feature set is awesome - two motors, line follower detection, sound, infrared distance sensors - for this price. But there is absolutely no customization. You can use preloaded programs or write your own. It’s brain is a Parallax Basic Stamp. I think there’s less than 256 bytes of RAM in a Basic Stamp. The version used in the Scribbler is a masked-ROM Microchip PIC CPU. PC programming connection is via RS-232 cable. The RCX is a better / more flexible system than this.

I hadn’t looked at the Scribbler prior to this post...

and I am stunned at how much their programming language (Scribbler Program Maker GUI) resembles the original RIS software:

I’m guessing that they designed theirs on the “success” of the RIS...

-Rob A>