 Robotics / 25011
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:36:07 GMT

--- steve <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

ARM   == Acorn RISC Machine
RISC  == Reduced Instruction Set Computer
Acorn == A British company that designed and manufactured the ARM until
          one of the big companies took them over.

RISC computers are generally quite hard to program at the machine code
level, but easier and more efficient for automated program compilers.

Just FYI, I programmed an ARM chip over 10 years ago (so it must have been a
less powerful one than this).  The assembly code was surprisingly clean,
simple, and powerful.  ARM is a great architecture.  Something like BrickOS
with a GNU C compiler will make this a very powerful platform, especially in
relation to what other robotics hobby products are out there (stamp, pic,
atmel, etc)

I'm all for more powerful platforms, but at $250 there was no way they could
have gone to megabytes.

One thing I think TLG should consider, given that (acc. to some article that
was linked here) 50% or so of their market for RIS was adult hobbyists --
they should come out with a high-end product at a considerably higher price.
A $400 set with say NTX with 2 megs of ram, more pieces, maybe different
motors, would sell pretty well I think.

If they don't, then hopefully aftermarket companies can pick up the slack.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com