 Robotics / 25007
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:04:38 GMT

pisymbol wrote:

The ARM architecture has been around for years and has been a very effective
RISC based embeddded CPU core.  That Wiki article does a good job explaining the
history and the various implementations of the ARM core (ARM7 is the NXT but I
have no idea which version of ARM7 it is, I can guess from the specs but it
would be nice to know the EXACT chip).

I would be inclined to guess that the ARM is just the CPU core
implemented in the same chip as all the other stuff the NXT uses.

One of the huge reasons for picking the ARM is that it's very well
suited to being integrated into the same chip as a bunch of other
stuff.

I haven't compiled anything for ARM in quite sometime (as many of stated, you
can probably develop a cross environment to natively build ARM7 code).

That much is very easy.  The GNU C and C++ compilers have back-ends for
the ARM and there are LOTS of people doing all sorts of things on ARM
devices so there is plenty of expertise out there.

For example, there are people porting Linux onto the GameBoy Advance
and the Nintendo DS...so you just KNOW there is a ton of freebie stuff
out there for this CPU.