 Robotics / 25003
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 05:13:04 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, steve <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:
the NXT *surely* has 128Mb and not 128Kb.

Where did the 128Kb number come from?

First of all, whether it is standard or not, I like to use a capital "B" to
indicate bytes (or spell out byte) and a small 'b' to indicate bits.  So, based
on the Lego NXT Faq, the NXT brick has 256KB(ytes) of FLASH plus an additional
64kB(ytes) of RAM.  Thats a total of 2.5Mb(its).  I'm not sure where the 128kb
that you mention comes from?

At any rate, it seems like having 10 times the memory of the RCX (not counting
the small FLASH and RAM that is used by the 8-bit microcontroller in the NXT) is
quite a good step.  It seems like many valuable applications will work within
those bounds.  Certainly there are applications that can be conceived in which
this is not enough memory.  Then again, there are some that can be conceived in
which even 128Mbytes is not enough.

Mike