 Robotics / 24997
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 03:29:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, steve <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

The point is that having such an incredibly small amount of memory
(by modern standards) forces you into ugly compromise solutions from
your shiney new system from day #1.

   I'm curious - I'm a physicist, not by any means a hardware type. What *is* a
standard amount of on-board FLASH for a embedded system? The NXT uses some sort
of ARM processor (what the heck does that stand for anyway?) - how FLASH-rish do
these come? And how hard is it to mate such a CPU chip with another chip or two
of FLASH?

If this system is going to be around for the same amount of time as
the RCX (what? nearly 10 years now?) - it ought not to look antiquated
from the very beginning.

   Well, to be fair, the same could safely be said of the RCX. It had less RAM
ten years ago than my Apple ][ did more than 20 years ago!

You can buy Flash memory USB 'thumb drives' for $8.50 in quantity
with anywhere from 128Mbytes upwards.

   How hard is it to interface a thumb drive with a device like the ARM? From
other discussion here the difference between slave and master USB devices seems
to be important. How much extra hardware or software do you need to make
something like the NXT a USB master device, so it could handle things like a
thumb drive?

I'm so horrified about this that I'm half convinced that this must
be a mis-print and that the NXT *surely* has 128Mb and not 128Kb.

   With Bluetooth at least we'll have access to potentially a whole computer's
worth of memory (at a slower rate? I really need to learn about Bluetooth).

--
Brian Davis