 Robotics / 24981
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:29:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:
"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message
news:Isr07J.1rvn@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics, Rob Antonishen <rob.antonishen@gmail.com> wrote:

I posted this information earlier:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=24888

Mark

Here is a sample of the DEC RJ12 connector:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/Data/100-306-10.JPG

Looks like the same connection.

Except the new Lego connector has the latch on the opposite side I think.

JB

I'm with JB on this one.  The press release photos (unless they are
backwards!!) clearly show that clip being on the opposite side.

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net

JB

On brightening up a picture looking into the ports, I see you're right about
where the connector key is.  Looking on Google, I found that other people cut
the key off normal RJ12 connectors in order to use them with RJ12 DEC MMJ
sockets:  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-11.html#rj_conn

I also found that unkeyed RJ12 plugs are available:
http://www.cxtec.com/products/item_detail.php?mfg_id=66&manufacturer_part=5-555042-3
.  Looks like this might be the way for us to go when making up our own leads.
We'll have to watch the pin-outs though, and whether just one pair of wires is
reversed in the protocol etc...

Looking at a PDF of these plugs, it seems that there's a standard key shape that
could theoretically be moved to any position sideways.  Also, I found at least
one site where people make rubber surrounds for these connectors - perhaps
someone else makes custom plugs too?

Mark