 Robotics / 24973
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:42:35 GMT

--- Titus Gabriel Petrut <gpetrut@yahoo.com> wrote:

I just saw Lego's definiton of a servo motor. It resembles a industry
servo, not
a hobby servo. In the hobby servo, the closed loop is done in the servo
electronics, but in the industry servo, the closed loop is done in the
controller. However, a digital bus would require that some "brain" to be
installed in the servos (like it is in the sensors). Also looking at the
specs
for the NXT brick, one can see there are 2 controllers. A 32 bit ARM7 and
a 8
bit controller. The latter one is probably the motor control unit.

This all makes some sense, though it seems strange to put a digital board in
the servos, but not do the control there.

In any case, I think my first project will be to figure out how to use the
USB port to connect the NXT to a more powerful brain, like my iPaq.  I know,
slave2slave USB is a nono; but I've heard that some low-level hacking can
turn USB ports into something closer to dumb, point-to-point connections
(completely non-USB compatible).

Another option would be bluetooth -- in fact that might be much more
elegant.  Obviously in some cases, the computer could be ground-based, but I
like the iPaq idea because you can get flash-card cameras.

Just daydreaming here...

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com