 Robotics / 24902
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 02:31:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Timothy Carl Buchheim wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Timothy Carl Buchheim wrote:

   It would be cool to have an external unit with its own battery pack and motor ports to supply extra motors. (It could be connected through the motor or sensor ports, or through USB, or through bluetooth.. of course, for those willing to spend a lot extra, you could probably use an extra NXT for this by having a master NXT send commands to a slave NXT over bluetooth)

I was just thinking .. the rumors about this year’s trains are that they’ll be remote controlled battery-powered units (probably so LEGO can use cheaper track without the metal conductors) .. those would fit the bill exactly. Bluetooth controllable battery packs capable of driving motors. That would be the best way to handle both trains (for compatibility with existing train motors .. just attach it to the studs normally used for attaching light bricks) and old technic motors.

This is just speculation, of course. And if LEGO hadn’t already thought of that.. well, go ahead and steal my idea. Please. :-)

Well, I am pretty sure the control for the trains is IR. That’s what Jake said and that is what the little black bump is on the side of the trains. I am sure TLG will do their Manas type IR serial interface, with message packets at different rep. rates with different address bits to accomplish a similar multi-channel control thing.

JB