 Robotics / 24822
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:07:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Eric Sophie wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Lee Magpili wrote:
check out www.mindstorms.com/press

lego just put out a press release all about the NeXT version of mindstorms, they
put a whole spec out on it..

BEST NEWS I HEARD ALL DAY!

A small side note to my jubilation:

While I usually never critique the efforts of the Lego Company, mostly because I
am sure scores of corporate brainy brains consider many of the issues us fans
mull over, I do have one small gripe about the NXT.

Studs.

What's the one thing people all over the world think of when they think Lego.

Studs!

While the components are all studless, that's fine.

The main CPU the NXT unit itself, should have a few studs on the front of the
unit! IMHO.

To keep the brand name in people's mind when they see the system.

I myself would have liked to be able to add some printed tiles to the front of
the NXT. Plus like I said, when people see some studs, they instantly recognize
them as being Lego. Studs and Lego, that's in people's minds.

That is the brand quality and studs make even this newest system instantly
recognizeable as being compatable with people's Lego collections.

You know what people say to me when they see my robots in person?

Wow, this is not the Lego "I" used to have.

Then I say, look closer, see this is an old window, this is a regular Lego
Brick, this is a chair, this is a wheel well etc....and so on....

Some folks (non-fans and potential customers) see these new components as being
far from what they remember when they think Lego.

Seeing some Studs on the front of this unit would be instantly recognizeable as
being a part of the Lego system we all know and love.

Just my thoughts.

I am still impressed and excited by the Mindstorms NXT system.

Now add some Studs!