 Robotics / 24802
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:21:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Allen Foster wrote:
Just out of interest, who'd going to sell their old Mindstorms stuff.

According to the Wired article, the new NXT series sets won't be
compatible with the old Mindstorms stuff which is a bit alarming. It
makes me wonder if it is worth holding onto the old stuff or trying to
recoup some value from it now.

Yeah it woulda been nice if the new one had IR as well and be able to control
the "legacy" bricks. I'm sure the old ones will find a myriad of uses doing
simpler jobs like moving cows heads on train layouts ;)

Having said all this, the new NXT looks superb. Three, count 'em, three
motors with built in rotation sensors!! and and ultrasound sensor. Don't
even get me started on BlueTooth connectivity!

Well, I hope they are also planning a smaller motor, without RPM sensor. I'm
sure there will be many situations when I'm happy to sacrifice accuracy for
size.

ROSCO