 Robotics / 24765
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 04:27:19 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Lee Magpili wrote:
check out www.mindstorms.com/press

lego just put out a press release all about the NeXT version of mindstorms, they
put a whole spec out on it..

BEST NEWS I HEARD ALL DAY!

Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:07:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Eric Sophie wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Lee Magpili wrote:
check out www.mindstorms.com/press

lego just put out a press release all about the NeXT version of mindstorms, they
put a whole spec out on it..

BEST NEWS I HEARD ALL DAY!

A small side note to my jubilation:

While I usually never critique the efforts of the Lego Company, mostly because I
am sure scores of corporate brainy brains consider many of the issues us fans
mull over, I do have one small gripe about the NXT.

Studs.

What's the one thing people all over the world think of when they think Lego.

Studs!

While the components are all studless, that's fine.

The main CPU the NXT unit itself, should have a few studs on the front of the
unit! IMHO.

To keep the brand name in people's mind when they see the system.

I myself would have liked to be able to add some printed tiles to the front of
the NXT. Plus like I said, when people see some studs, they instantly recognize
them as being Lego. Studs and Lego, that's in people's minds.

That is the brand quality and studs make even this newest system instantly
recognizeable as being compatable with people's Lego collections.

You know what people say to me when they see my robots in person?

Wow, this is not the Lego "I" used to have.

Then I say, look closer, see this is an old window, this is a regular Lego
Brick, this is a chair, this is a wheel well etc....and so on....

Some folks (non-fans and potential customers) see these new components as being
far from what they remember when they think Lego.

Seeing some Studs on the front of this unit would be instantly recognizeable as
being a part of the Lego system we all know and love.

Just my thoughts.

I am still impressed and excited by the Mindstorms NXT system.

Now add some Studs!

Re: mindstorms NXT
While I usually never critique the efforts of the Lego Company, mostly because I am sure scores of corporate brainy brains consider many of the issues us fans mull over, I do have one small gripe about the NXT.

Studs.

What’s the one thing people all over the world think of when they think Lego.

Studs!

While the components are all studless, that’s fine.

The main CPU the NXT unit itself, should have a few studs on the front of the unit! IMHO.

I completely disagree. Their is no need for studs on the NXT. It’s sleek, and modern the way it is. I don’t think I’ve ever used the studs on the RCX for a moc. I love the I-pod styling.

And the components should have studs.

To keep the brand name in people’s mind when they see the system.

I myself would have liked to be able to add some printed tiles to the front of the NXT. Plus like I said, when people see some studs, they instantly recognize them as being Lego. Studs and Lego, that’s in people’s minds.

That is the brand quality and studs make even this newest system instantly recognizable as being compatible with people’s Lego collections.

Lego could though add studs to the logo. You have that box with “Lego” written inside it. It looks exactly 2x2, well you could have four studs next to it, both in print and in plastic, only when in plastic they’d be real studs you could attach bricks to. Just think it would be the worlds first logo that actually does something!

You know what people say to me when they see my robots in person?

Wow, this is not the Lego “I” used to have.

Then I say, look closer, see this is an old window, this is a regular Lego Brick, this is a chair, this is a wheel well etc....and so on....

Christ, what kind of freaky robots are you building?

Steve

Re: mindstorms NXT
While I usually never critique the efforts of the Lego Company, mostly
because I am sure scores of corporate brainy brains consider many of the
issues us fans mull over, I do have one small gripe about the NXT.

Studs.

What's the one thing people all over the world think of when they think
Lego.

Studs!

While the components are all studless, that's fine.

The main CPU the NXT unit itself, should have a few studs on the front of
the unit! IMHO.

I completely disagree. Their is no need for studs on the NXT. It's sleek, and
modern the way it is. I don't think I've ever used the studs on the RCX for a
moc. I love the I-pod styling.

Your POV, my POV.

And the components {should} have studs.

Your POV, my POV.

To keep the brand name in people's mind when they see the system.

I myself would have liked to be able to add some printed tiles to the front
of the NXT. Plus like I said, when people see some studs, they instantly
recognize them as being Lego. Studs and Lego, that's in people's minds.

That is the brand quality and studs make even this newest system instantly
recognizable as being compatible with people's Lego collections.

Lego could though add studs to the logo. You have that box with "Lego"
written inside it. It looks exactly 2x2, well you could have four studs next
to it, both in print and in plastic, only when in plastic they'd be real
studs you could attach bricks to. Just think it would be the worlds first
logo that actually does something!

Cool idea!

You know what people say to me when they see my robots in person?

Wow, this is not the Lego "I" used to have.

Then I say, look closer, see this is an old window, this is a regular Lego
Brick, this is a chair, this is a wheel well etc....and so on....

Christ, what kind of freaky robots are you building?

Don't ya know?

Steve