 Robotics / 2466
Re: LOGO with Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:17:16 GMT

Ralph M. Deal wrote:

Hi, I've just bought Mindstorms to implement a long-standing urge of mine:
to acquire a Logo turtle for educational purposes.

[SNIP]

So I am delighted to have in hand (despite all the pesky lego bits) my own
"turtle".  Now I can write my own "LOGO" language in some one of the
current generic RCX languages such as NQCC or legOS (I'd work from LINUX)
but surely that has already by done.

Question:  WHere can I find more on the use of LOGO on the RCX or the MIT
programmable brick?

Sorry I didn't pick up this message earlier; I don't read this list
every day, because of being busy, and traffic volumes, and...

MIT have written BrickLOGO for the RCX; they are in discussion with LEGO
inc about whether they can release it to mere mortals like us. As of
mid-December this matter was still unresolved. The guy dealing with it
at MIT is Mitchel Resnick, but please, guys, don't swamp him with mail;
he knows we're interested and I'm already hassling him on a sort of
monthly basis. I'll report to the list when anything's ready.

Note that to operate as a turtle the RCX does not have to run LOGO
natively, merely respond to commands from a computer which does run
LOGO; probably the best thing to do would be get UCB Logo and hack it to
talk to the IR tower.

For a standard turtle, you would need messages for:
pen [up|down]
forward x
backward x
left x
right x

Probably best to package your message up into packets of bytes:
[start-of-message RCX-being-addressed operator operand-1 ...
operand-N end-of-message]

Writing a handler for packets of this type would not be a major job, but
a robot which could turn left and right by set numbers of degrees would
of course require two rotation sensors.

Finally, if you're interested in writing a LISP interpreter for the RCX,
I'm planning to build a simple one (probably on top of legOS), and would
be happy to colaborate.

Cheers

Simon

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --