 Robotics / 24613
Re: Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:05:39 GMT

If it is a fairly large or complex problem I take what I consider will be the
hardest part and design it first; if this is something mechanical (or even code)
I spend a lot of time working on it, researching the type of engineering field
that applies to it (usually automotive or other types involving similar types of
propulsion)....during this phase my best friend is usually a good old fashioned
legal pad. After I have designed this part I work with the rest of the robot
after awhile I have prototyped almost the complete robot and start to run tests
with small parts of code or the Mindstorms remote.

At this point, Occam's Razor strikes me normally.....and normally it strikes
VERY hard. Now I have to go back and redesign prototype sections when I am done
my ever so fancy/complex solutions are ursuped by simpler and what should have
been more obvious solutions.

I would defintely have to say that my favored method of creating robots is with
my legal pad.......boy do I love those things.

Not sure if I really stayed on topic, I am rather pumped with caffeine, Chris