 Robotics / 24611
Re: Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:01:13 GMT

I imagine that if I were to ever design a robot’s functions on paper first, I’d probably use a finite state machine, since FSMs map to events pretty well. The robot’s functions would have to be complex enough to make it worth it, though.

For code, when I’m writing something large and complex, in general some good UML diagrams and a knowledge of design patterns is helpful. But for the LEGO robots I’ve built, they’ve never been complex enough to need that much code design.

My biggest concern is always with physically over-engineering things. I usually end up building a LEGO contraption that’s very complicated and unwieldly the first time around. Or I’ll use two sensors when I actually only need one. Or my creation will require constant attention to keep parts from jamming, and so on.