 Robotics / 24588
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:16:01 GMT

At 11:57 AM 11/28/2005, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
This link makes for interesting reading. http://www.techuser.net/lego.html
Something doesn't gibe but I can't say quite what.

It's a very funny story.  I really tried to read the whole thing, but I can't.
I've spent too much time laughing.

Agreed. My favorite statement is this:

"The picture below shows an RCX brick along with a gaming device of
Chinese make that incorporates components similar to the ones used in
the RCX. The gaming device was purchased for approximately $1.83 from
a mom-and-pop retail store, and it is missing only the IR
communication and motor/sensor control circuitry... therefore, the
original equipment manufacturer's cost of making the gaming device
must be less than fifty cents."

I don't believe the RCX is made in China, using knock-off (clone)
parts. It's amazing how inexpensive the China products can be. A lot
of their ICs are illegal ripoffs, complete with fake OEM vendor
markings, which don't meet the spec of the parts they are cloning.
But, they are cheap!
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Jul/bch20050726031526.htm

The ThinkPads are now made by Lenovo in China, and they are all about
$10 now, right?

If you add up the prices of the ICs in an RCX you get quite a
different number from $1...

The slashdotter forgot one small item too: the per-unit cost of NRE.
This is perhaps the reason the Pentium chips are not just the price
of the raw silicon wafer used to make them.

Bruce

------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
   Real embedded Java and much more
+1-801-534-1017  Salt Lake City, USA