 Robotics / 23457
Re: using PWM output to control Lego motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:38:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:

PWM for servo pulse is on a three wire system (Pos, Neg, and data).  The
pulse is a series of different length square waves sent to the servo or ESC
in a certain length of time.  This pulse is then translated by the servo or
ESC as a "position" it needs to set its output at (whether that be a
mechanical position [servo] or voltage PWM "position" [ESC].

An ESC converts the servo pulse PWM to a different kind of PWM.  This PWM is
like the one LEGO uses on the RCX.  It is a series of square waves which are
either ON or OFF during a certain length of time to simulate different
voltages.  They theory is to simulate 4.5 volts on a 9 volt system, just
turn off your power source half the time.  PWM like LEGO uses runs on a 2
wire system (Pos, Neg).

Thank you, this clarifies things for me quite a lot.  I was thinking that PWM
was PWM, but now I see the important difference -- one is a means of
transmitting data, and the other is a means for controlling current (integrated
over many pulses).

Doesn't seem cost effective to buy one receiver and 4 ESCs for your project.

This comment seems to imply that there's a better solution... but I don't see it
at this point.  What did you have in mind?

Thanks,
- Joe