 Robotics / 23438
Re: Modular RC kits?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:44:11 GMT

At 11:53 AM -0800 1/30/05, Steve Baker wrote:

You may not be aware that you don't need a computer - or to do any form of
programming in order to use the RCX with the Lego remote controller.

I know you don't need to program it, but the RCX *is* a computer, and
it seems ridiculous to use it to achieve remote control.  I can buy a
2-channel R/C car for $25, which probably weighs less all together
than the RCX and certainly costs 1/4 as much.  I should be able to
build an R/C lego model on the same scale.

However, it's certainly InfraRed and not Radio - with all of the limitations
that implies.

True.

LEGO already makes several RC cars, but at least from the ones I • have seen, they
are not modular...

Yeah - they are pretty much useless.  I really wish Lego wouldn't make sets
like that...it's totally counter to the overall philosophy of the Lego system.

Agreed.  I mean, it's fine with me that they make them -- if you're
just looking for an R/C car, I'm glad you can buy a Lego one instead
of some other brand.  But it's very annoying that they're not more
modular.  Seems like they're really missing the boat on this one.

Well, there are plenty of people who have adapted the Servo motors from a
standard model R/C set (eg Futaba) to drive Lego parts.

Yes, and I've even seen one guy who used a servo to press the buttons
on the 9V battery pack to control a motor.  But that seems like a
very crude approach to me.  It only works for controlling one motor
(or at least, all motors in the same way), too.

The up-market radio controlled car people have fully proportional speed
controllers that connect to the output of a standard radio reciever and
generate voltages appropriate to driving small electric motors.  Seems
like that's what you should be investigating.

Yes, I'm finding stuff like that.  I can get a receiver for about
$40, and connect that to a switch module for another $20, and have a
digital one-channel controller for $60.  This starts to make the RCX
route look attractive.  :)

I think there must be a huge markup on these R/C parts, or else they
include some powerful capability I don't need.

Another possiblility is to buy a cheap R/C toy and rip that apart.

Yes, that is seriously starting to look like the best option.

I'm still intrigued by the wireless transmitter/receiver boards from
Radiotronix.  These are $4 to $5 each.  But they operate at high
frequencies (e.g. 418 MHz, compared to the 27 or 40 MHz typical of
R/C toys), and they seem require a fairly large amount of support
circuitry.  Sample schematics are provided by the company, but I
think it's probably beyond my electronics skills to actually build
something out of them.

For somebody better with a soldering iron, though, these seem like
they might be a good approach.  Or, somebody could figure out how
those $25 cars are able to send and receive signals so cheaply --
there MUST be some source for R/C systems on a chip -- and build
custom LEGO bricks out of that.

Thanks,
- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |
|    joe@strout.net           http://www.macwebdir.com/            |