 Robotics / 23388
  RCX3 - Can extra hardware functionality be added?

Having had a good look inside my RCX, I'm thinking seriously about what is really possible in the same space envelope, whether extra ports or functions could be added for RCX3. I think it's useful for us to know what's inside the RCX, especially if (...) (19 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX3 - Can extra hardware functionality be added?

I've seen this topic come up several times, and am curious why no one suggests that the input and output ports be extended from the RCX to pods. Using the same form factor constraints limits the possibilities. Using a more condensed cable connection (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX3 - Can extra hardware functionality be added?

(...) Having built a number of prototype "clone" bricks, I feel reasonably certain that the RCX's internal space is not the limiting factor. The surface area occupied by 2x2 I/O connectors is the true limit. (Assuming you dedicate a board to hosting (...) (19 years ago, 23-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX3 - Can extra hardware functionality be added?

hi so IMHO don't expect more outputs because of the power 3 motors + 3 sensors + mainboard have to be powered by bateries some time ago i proposed to make connectors smaller (URL) good think is the size of these connectors of course second is that (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX3 - Can extra hardware functionality be added?

(...) I have a proposal that would theoretically allow an RCX to use 49 motors and 147 active sensors (or 588 switches!). This has the potential to control an entire Ball Contraption or railway! The idea may be expandable to four times those (...) (19 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX3 - Can extra hardware functionality be added?

(...) A friend of mine is actually working on this 'pod' concept. i have been playing with a working prototype and i must say that it preforms very well. and it is SO nice to not be limited on the number of sensor inputs. pictures of the prototype (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)