 Robotics / 23377
Subject:
IR Tower Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:01:11 GMT

Dear List,

I am without an IR tower for my Mindtsorms kit. I have built two of the
schematics here:

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/Lego_Knex/Lego_electronica/IR_tower/IR_tower.htm#Hardwire%20IR-signals%20to%20RCX

Neither of the ones I tried work. I tried the one by John Barnes, and the
hardwire cable. I do not know enough about schematics to read the OEM
design. Has anyone built either of these two cables?

-Mike Riches
mriches@u.washington.edu
206-228-2002

Re: IR Tower Building
I am without an IR tower for my Mindtsorms kit. I have built two of the schematics here:

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/LegoKnex/Legoelectronica/IRtower/IRtower.htm#Hardwire%20IR-signals%20to%20RCX

Neither of the ones I tried work. I tried the one by John Barnes, and the hardwire cable. I do not know enough about schematics to read the OEM design. Has anyone built either of these two cables?

-Mike Riches mriches@u.washington.edu 206-228-2002

Try this schematic, which is my interpretation of the RS232 IR tower supplied with the RCX: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1071591

Apart from the IR receiver device itself, getting hold of suitable components shouldn’t be difficult. Most of the transistors are general purpose small signal ones, the output one being higher powered (1A peak rating?), so alternatives are plentiful. If you don’t build in surface mount, use two 1N4148 diodes for each of the diode packages. The zener is a 4.7V one.

If you can’t get the receiver device, make a circuit with an opto-transistor and amplify the signal to 4.7 volts with that supply, perhaps using LM358 op-amps as they are single supply ones.

Mark