 Robotics / 21992
RE: Scout connected to Code Pilot with Fiber Optics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.codepilot, lugnet.robotics.vll, lugnet.robotics.microscout
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:29:11 GMT

I have connected both a RCX and a CyberMaster to a CodePilot (and also to a
MicroScout). I don't remember if I tried connecting also a Spybotics, but I
think it work too.

CodePilot accepts VLL codes but only the *Batch* VLL Commands, to make a VLL
Program/Script/Sequence. Unfortunately it doesn’t accept the very useful
Immediate VLL Commands (don’t remember the proper name LEGO gives to these)
like MicroScout does (although it would be more useful if it had a TURN
MOTOR ON / OFF *silent* commands... no beep-beep sounds included :).

So, CodePilot won’t work well as a pure slave (like MicroScout) of any other
pBrick (Scout, RCX, CyberMaster, Spybotics) because it only executes the VLL
commands sent, when you hit the green RUN rubber button.

It’s ok, when you, for some reason, want to store the (let’s call it a) VLL
Script in the pBrick memory (bad idea, waste of pBrick memory), or send it
from the PC through a pBrick (better idea).
But, after sending the VLL commands, you need to physically hit the
CodePilot RUN button, not necessarily your finger, but something... maybe a
bumper, or something connected to a motor.

mc.

[I also sent to lugnet.robotics because that's where the "REPLY-TO" was
directing this msg, so sorry for any dups or excess of xposts]