 Robotics / 19712
Re: RCX Tank Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:29:39 GMT

I've finally posted pictures of my RCX Tank Base:

If you remove the 1x4 plates on the treads there will be less carpet friction
and thus better turning capabilities. Skid steering is a balance between
skiddin' and traction.

Without the 1x4 plates there is too little friction - the unit was unable to
climb over anything without them!  Plus the 1x4 plates raise the unit up a
little, make the tracks wider, and gives the base a much 'meaner', more tank
like look.  The biggest draw back to the plates is they pop-off on a
regularly.  I'm thinking about using some non-permenant/washable adhesive to
keep them on the new version.  I have no idea what to use, any suggestions?

Yeah, tell me about it. My latest MOC (still to be published) uses 1 x 6 plates
on this type of treads and I made the MOC remote controlled and had to pick up
a lot of plates when I was done driving.

The treads have some serious flaws but are still the coolest things around.

Word has it the newly manufactured treads (as found @ Dacta) has better grip on
plates though.

Adhesives should prove difficult to wash away from inside the plates.

The new base is mostly done.  It includes a front touch sensor (located
behing the front curved bumber, similar idea to Sypbots).  I intend this one
to be controlled by the remote and to be autonomous.  I'm currently working
on the mechanism of the chopping hammer.  Unfortunately I know no one in the
Calgary area how is also into Lego RCX robots who might want to have a
little battle.

Here's some inspiration for you:
http://www.teamdelta.com/roboglad/one.htm

Best regards,