 Robotics / 19675
19674  |  19676
Subject:
RCX Tank Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:30:10 GMT

I've finally posted pictures of my RCX Tank Base:

Features of the RCX Tank Base One include:

==>Remote driving using the Ultimate Accessories remote.

==>Suspension using ten black spring mounts.

==>"Equal" forward driving using a 24 gear clutch and axle connecting both
treads.  If both motors drive forward or back the clutch does not slip
causing both treads to move at the same rate.  If the motors are driven
in opposite directions the clutch slips allowing in place skid steering.
This was a good alternative to using an adder/subtracter device to
acheive straight driving.

==>"Droid Developer Kit squeeze and lift" style hand.  The hand was able to
lift about half a can of pop.  As you can see in the pictures a full can
of beer caused the base to be lifted.

==>Enough power to pretty much drive over anything shorter that the height
of the treads.

Problems of Tank Base One were:

==>Suspension could barely support the weight of the RCX and motors.

==>Skid steering was difficult for the power of the motors on carpet.  The
combined resistance of the slip clutch and friction between the treads
and carpet put significant stain on the motors.

==>The conveyor links sometimes pull apart when climbing over difficult
objects.  A partial solution was to tie a thin piece of elastic cording
between the treads.  It helped to hold the treads together and if they
did come apart it made it easier to put them back together.

I am currently working on an RCX Tank Base Two that is bigger with better
suspension, easier-turning different style of slip clutch, and some sort
of cool Robot Warriors style of weapon like a chopping axe (which I have
no idea yet of how to build).

Enjoy,
Roy Nelson