 Robotics / 18082
RE: Robotic Vision (was: Video image analisys)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:08:43 GMT

Hi :)

*GREAT* !

Are you planning to share your findings ? :)

I downloaded the current version of rv2 (the one that now includes RvCAD
V.1) and tryed it: WOW :)
It doesn't work with my ATI All-in-Wonder128 format feed, nor with mpeg
(yet?) but the tests I did with .AVI were great :)
I think it'll work with the LEGOcam (the older rv2 worked) I haven't tried
yet.

The "new" MachineVision filters (Object Extractor, etc) and the new visual
interface of RvCAD are simply great :)

erm... if only there was a DATA stream circuit/treatment, side by side of
the VIDEO stream circuit, one could, in future versions, do DATA modules
that would simply mix DATA on top of the video or/and processor modules that
would do logic processing/decisions (input=DATA, output=ACTIONS/COMMANDS
that would cause robot reactions)

Something simple as this would be possible:

[VP]>-vs->[MBD]>-vs----------->[MV]->[DT]
          [MBD]>-ds->[CDV]-vs->[MV]

vs  =video stream
[VP] =video producer
[MBD]=moving blob detection
[MV] =mix video streams
[DT] =display trash
ds  =data stream
[CDV]=convert data to video

The [MV] in this example has 2 video in and 1 video out.
The [MDB] is an example of a module with 1 video in, 1 video out *and* 1
data out.

It's easy to imagine decision modules based on data input outputing treated
DATA or ACTIONS that would be directed to a ACTION-MANAGER module. The
config of such a module would deal with the way of making these action come
out of the "virtual" model RvCAD knew. (this would introduce a third stream,
the ACTIONS stream)
It would act as an interface much like the Video Producer does for data
aquisition dealing with the hardware level of things, this Action Manager
could send commands to the robot :) ...hopefully there would be a "driver"
supporting the RCX pCode or something.

...just a thought :)

Anyway, sorry for this long msg and
thxs again for your web page and
what you've shared so far with us all :)

mc.

-----Original Message-----> Of psksvp

Hello

I am planing on building stero-head using rcx, and 2 webcam from lego
studio. All ImageProcessing will be done on PC, RCX will be
used to control
til, pan, etc...

psksvp