 Robotics / 17005
    Re: Inertial guidance —Steve Baker
   (...) The term "inertial guidance" refers to a navigational technique that involves carefully measuring the rotational and translational accelleration of the vehicle, then integrating that to derive the velocity and integrating *that* to get the (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Inertial guidance —Trevyn Watson
     (...) Actually, i think you could use TWO rotation sensors because the rotation sensors work in both directions, and Lego generally doesnt go up and down (but it might if you had some sort of maze with ramps). (22 years ago, 12-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Inertial guidance —Steve Baker
     (...) By "Six degrees of freedom" I mean: 1) Translation to Left/Right 2) Translation Forwards/Backwards 3) Translation Up/Down 4) Rotation left/right 5) Rotation fore/aft 6) Roll left/right. These are often called (respectively) by the names: Sway, (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Inertial guidance —Pete Sevcik
     Steve, I see your point. I forgot the sensor also responds to gravity. I suspect that the best we can do is a very rough demo of principle, not a practical navigation system. Thanks for your insight! That is what makes this forum so useful. - pete. (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Inertial guidance —Steve Baker
     (...) Where an inertial system *might* have some applicability would be to fill in the gaps between sightings of some kind of a navigational landmark. The gradual accumulation of error is the big problem - but if you only need the inertial (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Inertial guidance —Ian Warfield
   (...) Ah, I see. Thanks for your explanation. How would one make inertial sensors for the RCX anyway? I suppose you could rig a plumb bob to a rotation sensor - but as you had already pointed out, rotation sensors are inaccurate at low rotation (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Inertial guidance —Pete Sevcik
   I am developing a two axis acceleration sensor that is RCX compatible. Unfortunately, that by itself is not sufficient for inertial navigation in a fixed plane. (i.e. a robot that stays on the floor) A fully inertial system would need a rotational (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)