 Robotics / 17046
Re: Inertial guidance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 01:19:10 GMT

Pete Sevcik wrote:

Steve, I see your point.  I forgot the sensor also responds to gravity.  I
suspect that the best we can do is a very rough demo of principle, not a
practical navigation system.

Where an inertial system *might* have some applicability would be to
fill in the gaps between sightings of some kind of a navigational
landmark.

The gradual accumulation of error is the big problem - but if you only
need the inertial navigation to get you to approximately where the next
landmark is visible - over a few tens of seconds, maybe it would be useful.

At work (where I design flight simulator graphics sytems), we have a
head-tracker system so we know where the pilot is looking.  The helmet
is tracked acoustically - but sound waves are S-L-O-W so the helmet uses
accellerometers to track short, fast movements.  It's not very accurate
and the errors would add up to something *huge* very quickly - but the
superbly accurate acoustic reading arrives every few tens of milliseconds
to reset our position and velocity knowledge and thereby correct the
data that's been accumulated from accelleration information alone.

Now if only we could get the darned thing to track accurately with the
air-conditioning-induced doppler effect :-(

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net