 Robotics / 16105
Re: Posi-trac differential?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 02:38:57 GMT

Dennis Williamson wrote:

Nice!

*Very* nice! It's the elegant solution I couldn't conceive.

I particularly like the way you put the 12-tooth gears diagonally
opposite for weight balance in the turntable version. I'm going to try
moving them in Brian Alano's triangle lift-arm housing (third rototype)
design and see how that affects balance.

Agreed!

For supporting the 16-tooth gear in the second design, why not use a regular
axle of the appropriate length and two thin bushings? Or, if you have any,
try an white Znap axle with a thin bushing. You appear to have the worm gear
shafts on the same row of holes in the 40-tooth gear. Try moving one of them
over one so their at diagonals. The 16-tooth gear doesn't mesh the worm
gears as deeply, but it seems OK.

I looked at moving them to the diagonals, too. I'd be worried about slippage in high-torque situations. 16-tooth gear seems pretty stable already. What about putting another #2 axle connector opposite the first one without fastening it to anything else? It would help with stability in one direction, and the worm gears hold it in the other.

Dennis

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Stehlik writes:
Hi everyone,
I have finished updating my site, and have included a page for my Torsen
differentials. Sorry for the wait :)

you can go to my page here, and then go to the ideas section, the torsen is
at the bottom of the page...
http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik

or go straight to the torsen page here
http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/torsen.html