 Robotics / 16098
Re: Posi-trac differential?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:55:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
Rob wrote: • Boy I wish there were some 40t gears with
clearance
holes in the center!

Make one ;)

If you're not sure you want to put a hole in the ones you have, buy some spares
beyond your stock requirement for ones with cross axle holes and adjust them.

As a simple tip, use a drill press. Mount the gear using black friction
pegs into
a block of technic beams. Hang on to the technic beams in a vise. Drill with a
3/16 drill (0.1875") which will usually over size to about ~0.190 - 0.193
which is
perfect. If you can borrow a four flute 3/16" end mill instead of a drill,
use it
nstead, it will give you a much better quality hole and will be less
inclined to
wander.

JB
Wow, words of wisdom from a true hacker! I'm not inclined to parts
modification, but if I really need to, I sometimes will. When I was young
without much Lego, I made some 2L and 5L axles :) I also filed some
clearance for a gear into a 2x4 plate. Now, since I regularly participate in
'pure Lego only' competitions, I am more of a purist.
Rob